back to thumbnails

Winds of Change

Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 19 of 49
< Prev Next >
020.jpg
Uzbekistan - Tashkent - Uzbek girls taking each other picture inside the Navoi Theatre.<br />
In 1929, amateurs of concert-ethnographic group led by M. Kari-Yakubov was established and later founded the professional theatre. In 1939 it was renamed to the Uzbek State Opera and Ballet Theatre, and in March 1948 it was united with Russian theatre and called as the State Opera and Ballet Theatre named after Alisher Navoi. Later, in 1959 the theatre obtained the status of Academic theatre and in 1966 – the status of Bolshoi Theatre,[2][3]<br />
<br />
Designed by Alexey Shchusev, the building of the theatre was built in 1942-1947 and was opened to the public in November, 1947, celebrating the 500th anniversary of the birth of Alisher Navoi. During 1945-47, the Japanese prisoners of war participated in the building construction under forced labor.